Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A Cup of Cold Water

For the first time in a long time, I didn't watch any of the All-Star game last night. In fact, I didn't even know who won or how they won until this morning around 8:00 am. Instead, I went to a girl's softball game. Let me explain.
Those three of you who read my blog know about Sarah, a young girl in our youth group who was murdered a little over a year ago. She played on a softball team here in town. That group was extremely devastated by Sarah's death. Sarah was the heart and soul of that team. She was the star player, cheerleader, comedian, you name it she did it. Our youth minister had a great idea. We had some left over bottled water from a previous event. He decided it would be a good idea to provide water and Gatorade for the final games of Sarah's former team. There must have been ten or fifteen of us from church there watching and cheering on the girls. That doesn't seem too significant. But you know what, one day it might. Besides, remember what Jesus said about giving a cup of cold water in His name?
I'm not looking at last night or even in the near future. Some of our people have talked to these young ladies. Sarah's murder forced them to think about things they had never thought of before. But I'm looking way down the line. One day these young ladies will have children of their own. When that child starts asking questions about God or why they exist or...you know what kind of questions children ask. Maybe, just maybe these young ladies will remember of group of people who provided a drink for them years ago at a silly softball game. And in looking for answers for their children may seek out this same group for answers for themselves. We'll never know what influenced them. Makes you think about everything you do or say, doesn't it? So for now, the score of the All-Star game really doesn't matter. What does matter is a little cup of water. I hope your day goes well. JW

1 comment:

Jeremiah said...

This morning, I left a blog entry about prayers for the First Colony Church in Houston. There was a girl in their youth group who got murdered over the weekend, and one of my friends is interning at that church.

I got a comment on my blog a few minutes ago from one of your members, Karen, saying that your church in Omaha recently went through a similar incidence with your youth group (I suppose that was the reference to Sarah that you made in your most recent post).

Anyway, please keep that congregation in your prayers over the next few weeks and months as they mourn the loss of one of their own.