Tuesday, July 25, 2006

If These Walls Could Talk

My wife loves the show on HGTV If Walls Could Talk. (I have to admit, it's one of the few shows on HGTV I like.) The premise is someone buys an old house and then begin to find clues in the house as to its former residents.
This week my family is going to Green Valley Bible Camp in Rogers, AR. I know, you're probably saying, "What in the world do these two things have in common?" I first went to GVBC around 1977. Off and on through the years, I've been there or mostly not. But starting in 1991 I began going back as a counselor and eventually as co-director. I think I've missed one, maybe two years since 1991. The camp has changed in many ways, but there are some things that are the same. The mess hall is the original one. The bath house by the pavilion--same one. I remember seeing a little boy go into the bathhouse one evening during the worship time. I followed him in to shoo him out and I found him crying. "What's wrong?" I asked. He told me of his grandfather dying and how much he missed him and how much he loved his grandfather. I told him his grandfather loved him, too. That little boy is married now. His brother will be one of our counselors this week. I'll probably see this "little boy" because he often comes out. But if those bathhouse walls could talk, the stories they could tell.
Or what about the mess hall. Most of the time, people are tired, hot, griping about the food. I try to make it a happy place. I'm usually loud or singing or both. People just look at me and shake their heads. They don't know if I'm crazy or if the heat is gotten to me. The answer again, both. Once again I remember a conversation with a young counselor who's life was in shambles. She divorced her husband. Her parents were struggling with her decision. She didn't know what to do. She's now married a wonderful man who loves her. They have had a child of their own. She's not going to be out at camp, but her husband is. Wow, if those walls could talk. I would love to hear the discussions that have gone on in the cafeteria.
What a God-filled place! My family's eyes light up when Green Valley is mentioned. I've got to admit, so do mine. So at the end of the week, be in prayer for us. I won't be blogging, but I'm sure I'll have blogging material. And remember, if your walls could talk....Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

I know y'all will have a great time. Make some more memories for those old walls.