Thursday, July 27, 2006

Disciples

This will be my last blog for awhile since I leave for camp tomorrow. I thought of writing another piece about anticipation since our level is so high. But then again, I thought everyone (the two of you who read this) might be gettting tired of reading about Green Valley Bible Camp. Sorry, you'll get to hear more about it later when we return.
I'm reading a new book by Dallas Willard called The Great Omission. I haven't read much, but there is a statement early on that intrigues me. He says we have done a pretty good job making Christians. We haven't done a very good job making disciples. This explains a lot. It gives a reason for our country club mentality. It explains why we have so many who come and are content with sitting on the pews and not getting involved. It's like joining the fan club of your favorite football team, but not trying out for the team. Jesus told His apostles to go and make disciples. We heard HIm say go and baptize the world. But before He said that, He said to make disciples. Don't believe me? Go read it in Matthew 28.
Making disicples means living Jesus' life yourself. Making disciples is mentoring. Making disciples is equipping people. Making disciples is trying to become what Jesus was while He was here on earth. That's much different that getting baptismal biceps. Perhaps our call should change to "go into all the world and make disciples."
Well, I'm done for now. See you when we get back. Please keep us in your prayers. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

David U said...

I gotta get that book! I love Dallas Willard.

Have a good week at camp.

DU