Thursday, July 20, 2006

iPods and God

Some of you know about my (relatively) new toy. I have an iPod that is the coolest thing. I have hundreds of songs on it and I can play them by artist, by genre, by albums, by playlists, by composers. I also have pictures on it. It has a calendar, stopwatch, and I'm not sure about this because I haven't checked it out--I think it also has a microwave oven. Well, maybe not the latter. All of this in a object 1 and 1/2 by 3 and 1/2 inches. I plug it up everyday and voila! as much power as I need. It even has my name engraved on the back. It's the most awesome little toy. I look at it with great admiration and marvel at the men and women who were able to create such a thing. How smart. How far we've come as the human race.
You know, my brain isn't very big either (no comments from those of you out there who know me!!! Hey! Hey! I heard you over there. That really wasn't very nice.). It contains so much more information than my little iPod which I thought was great. The brain is the command center for the whole body; receiving and sending messages from the nerves constantly. Continually interpreting impulses coming in. Yet it works all the time even when we're asleep. It's only at death the brain stops its work. God didn't stop His creation there. He made the stars, the sun, the moon, the animals, the universe. He keeps tabs on all of it. And the Scripture says "He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name." (Psalm 147:4) Like my iPod, I hope His name is engraved on me. I know He knows me by name because the New Testament says that He knows the number of hairs on our heads. David says, "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." (Psalm 139:14).
So I bow my head in humble reverence realizing that my adoration was horribly misplaced. It's God who is amazing! It is He who created the universe. And, yes, He created those with the knowledge to create something as complex as an iPod.
Lord, forgive me when I lose sight of the One who created the universe. I am awed in Your presence. You are truly Holy, Holy, Holy. You are God Almighty. El-Shaddai. All-Powerful. Have a great day! JW

No comments: