Thursday, July 06, 2006

Where Has Time Gone?

It's going too fast. This is July already and school starts next month. Nate's last baseball game was yesterday. He leaves for camp (to counsel!!??!!) on Friday. When he gets back in a couple of weeks, the entire family and two others will go to camp at Green Valley Bible Camp in Arkansas. As soon as we return from that it will be time for school to start. Once school starts, the weather starts to cool down. Once it cools down, it gets cold. Once it gets cold it snows.
Meredith's already been married for a year. Nate will be a junior in high school. I'm not ready for this. Oh, this is what I've been working for all of my life is to work myself out of a job. But time marches on with a vengeance. I've been warned about this. I just wasn't listening.

"What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." James 4:14

"Remember, O God, that my life is but a breath..." Job 7:7

"My days are swifter than a runner; they fly away without a glimpse of joy. They skim past like boats of papyrus, like eagles swooping down on their prey." Job 9:25, 26

Once you hear these verses, you could become depressed. I chose to see the bright side of passing time. Each day I'm one day closer to forever be with those I love. Besides, this is the day the Lord has made (Psalm 118:24). Can He create anything that isn't good? And Paul tells us that we are being renewed day by day (II Corinthians 4:16). I translate that we are being renewed daily. Each day is a new day, a new challenge, filled with new opportunities. There is a song I love that we used to sing. It's one of those songs that has gone by the wayside. But listen to these beautiful words:

One sweetly solemn thought comes to me o'er and o'er:
Today I'm nearer to my home than e'er I've been before.

Nearer my Father's house where many mansions be;
And nearer to the great white throne, nearer the crystal sea.

Nearer the bound of life where falls my burden down;
Nearer where I leave my cross and where I gain my crown.

Savior confirm my trust, complete my faith in Thee;
And let me feel as if I stood close to eternity.

Feel as if now my feet were slipping o'er the brink;
For I may now be nearer home, much nearer than I think.


Come, Lord Jesus! Have a great day! JW

1 comment:

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Everytime I read that text in James it reminds me of that classic line from Steve Miller, "Time keeps on slipping, slipping, into the future." It really does fly.

My little girl just turned 11 and in the last year as become almost as tall as her mother. Time flies.

Just discovered you blog. I really appreciated this post. Timely.

If you get a chance stop by my Stoned-Campbell Disciple Blog.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine