Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Success

Since I'm preparing for camp this week, I have some things on my mind that aren't ususually there. The powers that be gave me a topic for the last session on Friday and something caught my attention. The theme for the work is "Be Strong and Courageous" taken from Joshua. Great topic for kids.
Being the Bible scholar I am (I heard all of the laughs from the world of blogdom out there. I have to admit, I'm chuckling myself.) I opened up Joshua to read. In Joshua 1:6 God says to Joshua, "Be strong and courageous because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers...." This is the Promised Land. This is what they had been looking forward to for so long. This is why they still fight today. So God tells Joshua to be strong and courageous.
Joshua 1:7 God says, "Be strong and very courageous." He adds "very" here. This time his simple words to Joshua are to listen up and obey. "Just do what I say," are God's Words to him. Sounds so simple, but so full of meaning. The reason it's taken so long to get where they are is because they haven't obeyed. The reason why Moses isn't there is because he didn't obey. It's so easy, but yet it's so hard. Just obey. Remember the old hymn, "Trust and Obey?" God told him if he did that, He would make him successful.
Joshua 1:9 God says, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged...." Why does God tell him that? Because he says He'll be with him.
When my Mom wanted me to get something she would repeat it several times. My dense little brain had a tendency for selective hearing. When a teacher repeated something and said it was a good idea to listen up, it was a good indication that something was going to be on the test. Do you think it's any different with God? Three times he told Joshua to be strong and courageous. Evidently Joshua was a good listener and did what God said because listen what is said in 4:14 of Joshua. "That day the Lord exalted Joshua in the sight of all Israel; and they revered him all the days of his life, just as they had revered Moses."
Want to be successful? Be strong and courageous. Why be strong and courageous? Because God says. What happens when we do what God says? He (and only He) makes us successful. Have a great day! JW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know Jim, I needed to hear/read that tonight. Thanks for speaking to me deeply!