Monday, July 10, 2006

Is Soccer Worth Watching?

Please don't misunderstand me. I've tried. I tried to watch it yesterday and I fell asleep. (That's not so unusual!) But after playing a game for 90 minutes and to have the score at 1-0 or 1-1 or 0-0. Then you play another 15 minutes (or is it 16 minutes because you really don't play 15, you have some leftover time. I never could quite understand that!) Then you have penalty kicks. Now I like that. Let's start the game with that. Or better yet, let's play a whole game of penalty kicks.
And the flops! Oh, my goodness. One guy sneezes on another and the other falls down and clutches his legs. Now I used to flop some when I was playing basketball, but these guys deserve an academy award. They flop, hold themselves for a minute or two, then hop up as if nothing ever happened.
These guys are incredible athletes. They are in unbelievable shape. To run as they do for as long as they do is just phenomenal. Their ball handling skills are also wonderful. I admire them for that. But I'm sorry, it the game of soccer just doesn't work for me. Give me a good high school or college football game. Let me watch the Razorbacks play basketball.
There will be some who question my sanity because I don't appreciate soccer. But then again, those people don't enjoy watching golf. I say, to each his own, but don't make me watch soccer again. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

David U said...

I'm ready for some REAL football.....the Crimson Tide kind!

DU