Monday, April 25, 2005

Contrasts

I heard a preacher friend of mine one time say that the best way to drive home a point was to make someone laugh and then bring home the serious lesson. What he was talking about was contrast. Contrast is an interesting literary and oratorical technique. Dr. Bill Banowsky was speaking in Tulsa and quoted the words from an old country tune. "Take the ribbon from your hair....Help me make it through the night." Then he quoted, "What a friend we have in Jesus. All our sins and griefs to bear." It was a wonderful, powerful contrast.
Yesterday, in worship, we sang the song "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross." In it are the words, "Did e'er such love and sorrow meet?" What a contrast! One would never put love and sorrow together.
We even use a departure as "bittersweet." I guess that was the feeling when my parents died. I was sad, and still am because I don't hear from them anymore. No one calls me from Searcy, Arkansas to see how me and my family are doing--at least from my side of the family. Yet, I am so happy for both of them! They are together singing God's praises forever! What a contrast in emotions!
Paul makes a statement in Philippians that he is torn between two things. He wants to go on to his reward which is far better. But he realizes he must stay.
Our lives are full of contrasts. There is the constant struggle with our physical bodies as we try to live spiritual lives. Suffering (which I do not like) brings about perserverance (which is good). Rain and sunshine. Wind and calm. Winter and summer. Contrasts help us to understand what's really important. If serving God or serving Satan were a 50-50 propostion, then what would it really matter? But the contrast between good and evil is there so we can get the point. Do you? Do I? Do we get the point? So often times Satan tries to blur the line to get us to think there is no contrast between him and God. There really is no difference. But there is. And serving God is a far better contrast. Trust me on this one. Have a great day! JW

No comments: