Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Why are we surpised?

There's a great story found in Acts 12 about Peter being in prison and then being released by angel. Amy Grant sang about this event several years ago in her song Angels Watching Over Me. Peter's been locked in prison and the church is praying fervently for him (Acts 12:5). God answers their prayers affirmatively, he's released and he goes to the house where they are praying. Upon reaching the place, he knocks on the door and a servant girl, Rhoda, answers. This is one of areas of the Bible where I find humor because Peter is standing outside knocking, she recognizes his voice, and rather than let him in, she runs to tell the others that Peter's outside. The reaction of the people is also amusing. "You're out of your mind. It must be his angel." (Acts 12:15). Translated, "He can't be out there, we're praying for his release, and we all know his release is not possible, but we're praying about it anyway."
I do the same thing. There have been a number of things I've prayed about recently that happened just as I had prayed. . .and I find myself surprised. God forgive me. Why should I be surprised? He said if you ask, it will given. If you seek, you'll find. If you knock, it will be opened. Not that He'll answer my every whim. But why am I surprised when He says, "yes"?Keep praying. Quit being surprised at His kindness. And keep remembering that He loves us dearly!! Have a great (rainy) day. JW

No comments: