Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Persecution

I grew up on the stories of the Apostle Paul being persecuted (beaten by rods, forty lashes minus one, stoned, etc.). "Everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." (II Timothy 3:12) And of course, Jesus suffered the ultimate persecution by dying on the cross.
What I wasn't ready for was the persecution in my life. I knew it would come. I knew it wouldn't be pleasant. I expected it sooner or later. What I didn't expect was the bulk of the persecution I have had to take has been from my own brethren. Words such as "It's obvious you haven't read your Bible." And "I don't think you ought to preach that because you might offend somebody. What about the visitors that come to worship?" The latter statement not being made in the most kind way. I thought it would come from the world. I thought they would laugh at me because I trusted Jesus. What I have received from the world is complacency and ignoring. The downright hostility has come from those who claim to be my brothers. Although they don't claim me as their brother for some reason.
I should have expected that. Jesus' greatest critics were the religious people of His day. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not claiming to be anywhere close to Jesus as far as my life is concerned. But I find it interesting it's those who claim to know Christ are the ones who are farthest from the attitude of Christ. I'll march on. I have no nail marks in my hands or feet. There are no marks on my back. Have a good day. Press on.
"I'm pressing on the upward way. New heights I'm gaining every day. Still praying as I onward bound, Lord, plant my feet on higher ground. Lord, lift me up and let me stand by faith on heaven's table land. A higher plane than I have found. Lord, plant my feet on higher ground." JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

You rock, JW. Press on, indeed.