Tuesday, April 19, 2005

How about a canoe trip?

A few years ago (A looongg few years ago. Before children, grey hair, and mid-belly flab) my wife and I went with a group down the Illinois River in Arkansas. I know, I know, that doesn't make sense, but it's true. The Illinois River really is in Arkansas. We canoed with a number of young couples down this little river. In Arkansas, things I usually call "creeks" are called rivers. Anyway, it had been a cool and damp spring trip. It had been cloudy all day, but Martha and I were able to keep our boat from tipping. Everyone else on the trip didn't, but we did. I think it was Solomon who said "pride goes before destruction."
As we were nearing the end of the trip we came up on a submerged log. It was just under the surface, the water was fairly muddy and we couldn't see the log. You guessed it, we tipped over. It was cold, but tipping over in the water is what you're supposed to do when you go canoeing. But my favorite jacket came out of the boat and went downstream. About thirty yards downstream it caught on an overhanging limb. The "river" was not very wide so I decided to walk across over to the jacket. When I reach the other side the silent current whipped me around just as I grabbed the jacket. With my other hand I grabbed a bush that secured me against the bank. It happened to be a thorn bush, but that's beside the point.
My friends stood on the other side encouraging me to go ahead and cross back to where they were. I informed them that the current was too swift and there was a log jam of brush, tree trunks, and other debris just down from where I would be taken by the current. Finally, some of the guys pushed a canoe out into the middle of the stream and held out a paddle for me. Obviously I survived the ordeal because I'm writing this blog.
But here's my point. There are many who are caught up in sin. It doesn't how much we yell from across the river to them, they are stuck. . .caught in the current, holding on to only a thorn bush, and there seems to be no hope. WE MUST GO GET THEM! No amount of coaxing from my friends, nor correction from them concerning how I piloted my canoe was able to get me out of the mess I was in. Only those who cared that I didn't stay there and who gave me a helping hand (or this case, canoe paddle) could get me out. True story. Great God we serve. A God who sent Someone to give us a hand out of the mire.
Have a great day! JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

That is an awesome illustration! I hope you're pulling that one out on a Sunday morning soon. Thanks for being willing to leave your safe spot and hold out a paddle to us.