Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Musings from Mowing the Grass

In the grand scheme of blogdom, I think it is good to venture into other fields of discussion. I have been relatively serious in my blathering. But today, I want to enter into the field of philosophy. If I were to entitle this one, I guess I would call it "Musings from Mowing the Grass." Let me give you some thoughts to ruminate on (I thought since I was entering into the field of philosophy, I should also expand my vocabulary!)
With apologies to Alexander the Great when he said, "Veni. Vidi. Vici." I went to the yard to do the chore many do regularly. "I came, I mowed, I sweated." In the whole plan of the universe, what good does it do to mow the grass? Really. It just grows back. It's like having to make your bed. You're just going to get into it tonight and mess it up again. Besides, I read a study recently that said that it was better for your health not to make your bed everyday. Something about messing up the dust mites. And why do we have to wash dishes? Either use paper plates or wash the dish when you need it. Think about how much space that would save in your kitchen. But I digress. Why don't we return to having sheep or cows stay in the yard? They'll keep the grass short and you can probably get some return on your investment if you use dairy cows. They keep the grass cut and you get milk out of the deal. The only problem with this is my neighbor across the street, Mr. Miracle Grow Man of the Year. He probaly wouldn't like the stench of the cattle and he would be jealous of how good my lawn looks.
When it comes to mowing, I'm not a purist. For instance, why clean all of the sticks out of your lawn before mowing? I have the Super Briggs and Stratton Mulch and Stick Crushing Mower. Besides, aren't crushed sticks good for the grass? Something about helping it grow.
There are some good things about mowing the grass. The birds are elated when I do this. Two came down to my deck and had coffee last evening while I mowed. Then once I was finished, they had dessert in my front lawn with insect tall cake and nightcrawler cheesecake. The squirrels also enjoyed having the birds in for dessert because so many times the birds stay in the trees.
Mowing the grass proves scientific fact. Did you know that Einstein's Eighth Law of Increasing Mass is provable in the lawn? Seems that if you mow your lawn by going around the outside cutting one strip all the way around, the lawn actually grows in size. I know. My lawn got visibly larger as I cut last night. And I may be onto something else, too. The incline of the hill in your yard gets notably steeper as the lawn mowing event happens.
Grass mowing reminds me of my Dad. He was a hard-working man. If there was nothing to do around the house, he would mow the grass. Unless, of course, you had a son who was in the house and perfectly happy doing whatever it was young sons do, i.e. sleep, watch tv, etc. He had no qualms about making me mow grass. . .even if it was my day off from work. The jobs I had in high school and college were so demanding, so stressful, so above mowing grass. (I worked in a grocery store and I worked in an ice cream factory on an assembly line.) How could he expect me to lower my self to such a menial task? I did it mumbling and grumbling all the way. Even today, though, when I have a young son of my own, my wife fusses at me for not getting him behind the mower. Things just aren't right in the universe if somebody else is mowing. If I didn't mow, I have this image that Dad would be right there mowing it himself. It just feels right when I'm behind that one-cycle power engine. I miss him.
So there you have it. The pros and cons of mowing. Mowing to me just doesn't seem natural. Kind of like shaving. But then again, my wife won't come near me if I haven't shaved. So, never-mind on that one. Since it rained last night I'll probably have to mow again today. And the cycle continues. I can't wait for winter. Although, Mr. Lawn of the Year mowed his grass in the middle of a snowstorm. Good-bye for now. I have to watch my neighbor tuck his lawn into bed. Have a great day! And go mow your grass! JW By the way, Happy Birthday, Dad. You would have been 85 years old today. Now you never grow old. Tell Mom "hi" for me.

No comments: