Friday, April 01, 2005

She's Gone

Just three weeks ago I lost my mother. Dad had died over ten years ago and they were the epitome of a couple. Where you'd see one, you'd see the other. So when Dad died of prostate cancer my brothers and I thought the end was near for Mom because she just couldn't function without Dad.
But much to our surprise, she kind of got a "I am woman, hear me roar" mentality and made it nearly eleven more years. Three of the four boys were there to see her at the first of March to make sure she had her house in order and to see that she was recovering from her brief January hospital stay. We found her vibrant, smiling, compassionate, and a little dingy (old age had done something to her, i.e. she'd tell the same story several times, etc.) We had fun. We laughed. We teased. She even drove her car. There's something about not using the brakes when you go around the corner that still scares me, but we survived. We took care of some financial things for her. Then we all went home on Saturday afternoon.
Sunday, she drove herself to church. Monday night she did what she always did on the first Monday of the month, she ate pizza with my mother-in-law. Then she went home, put on her pajamas, closed her eyes in one reality, and opened them in another.
I wonder what she saw. I wonder who she saw. But I'm glad for her. Now she's back together with Dad. I know the Bible says that we are neither married nor given in marriage. But humor me on this one. I talked to someone the other day about this very thing and they told me about their parents talking about this very thing. They said, "If we can't be married in heaven, can we just hang out?" I like that. Mom and Dad are just hanging out. I can live with that. Have a great day. By the way, I've put my order in to die like Mom. . .in my sleep. But you know what, she died so well because she lived so well. JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

I've got my order in for the same thing. And I hope I get to "hang out" with a lot of people, not just Brian!