Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Computer Problems and Life

I am about as good with a computer as I am a car. I can't fix either one. So I am utterly helpless with the things go on the fritz. Which brings me to my computer at home.
Last night, I sat down at my home computer because my wife had asked me to check her e-mail. She had been on it the night before (it has to be all her fault!) and so I'm trying to log on. It's frozen and getting worse. One of the "tricks" I've learned over the years is to reboot. You don't know how many times I've worked on computers trying to get them to work. Finally, in complete exasperation, I'll call the computer people and they'll ask, "Did you reboot?" With one click of a button, the problem is solved and I look stupid. Maybe that's why there's a side of me that hates computers. Anyway, I digress. So I reboot my computer at home and it gets worse and worse and worse and finally a blue screen. Now I don't know much, but I know a blue screen is bad. So I call the company on their convenient 1-800 number. You have to know that I can get nothing from this computer. If I reboot, it comes up a blue screen. I can fiddle with it all I want and nothing comes up except the blue screen. You know the routine, I'm placed on hold. But all during the time I'm on hold, two things are happening--music occasionally interrupted by a message. The message says to log onto the computer and type in www.fixmycomputer.com. Obviously that's not the website, but again, you get the drift. HOW CAN I LOG ON AND GET MY COMPUTER FIXED IF I CAN'T GET PASSED THE BLUE SCREEN!!!
I saw a biblical principle here believe it not. How many times do we tell people to buck up and to straighten out their lives? It can't be done without help. It's like the passage in James when he says, "Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, 'Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,' but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action is dead." (James 2:15-17) Don't we do the same thing? Aren't we just as guilty as the computer company? "Go read your Bible and find all the answers," we say. But then we do nothing to help in any way. Makes no sense. I was frustrated last night. Can you imagine what it's like not getting any spiritual help? No wonder people get disillusioned and leave. Let's not be that way. Let's care. Let's help...truly help and not be guilty of giving good advice that can never be followed. Have a great day! (There, I did it myself!) Can I help you have a great day? JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

Ah, the blue screen of death! Almost enough to make ya go Mac, isn't it??? So, did you get it fixed?