Thursday, October 06, 2005

Turkey Loaf

I live in a residential area of Omaha, not in the country. We're talking regular established houses in an established neighborhood. It looks like a scene from suburbia with well-manicured lawns, some really nice houses, and some regular, built in the 50s houses (these houses were well-built and well-maintained). So I've just taken my son to school yesterday morning, a task that he thinks will soon end when he turns 16 in December, when I'm driving back home through the neighborhood.
Now I'm getting older and my eyesight isn't as sharp as it used to be, but there is definitely something up ahead. It's big and standing along the side of the road. A statue, perhaps, that people place in the yard. A fake bird that someone has put as a fundraiser or a gag. No, it's a wild turkey. This bird is huge! We're not talking a white Butterball that will be on your table next month, we're talking a wild turkey. I slow down and roll down my window to get a better look and she isn't real comfortable with me, but she moves a little deeper into some bushes.
Telling this story to several people and I'm surprised at the response. One said, "Oh, yes, there are wild turkeys in that area and in other parts of the town." Another told my wife, "Yes, that turkey is also in Regency (another area of Omaha near us) and we share it."
My favorite story was from class last night. I told about my turkey and another brother told a story of a turkey in town. He slowed down when he saw her and let her pass. While the car behind him drove so fast that he hit the turkey. Feathers went everywhere, he said. Then he said, "How could you miss a turkey?" To which another brother in class responded, "He didn't."
But I do have a more serious point. Turkeys aren't supposed to be in residential areas. They have their own natural habitat and when they are in areas of homes and people, it's not natural. It's not where they are supposed to be.
John told us not to be of this world. Peter says the same. Jesus told us the same. What seems to happen to us is that we get awful comfortable in places where we shouldn't. Culture changes us instead of vice versa. We become content in a place where we shouldn't be, and the world wins again. And Satan wins another battle. When are we going to learn. Paul said that he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He wanted to stay and help the Philippians, but he desired more to go and be with God. But he would do what the Lord wanted him to do. As Christians, we are placed in an environment that doesn't fit us. Let's not get comfortable to the point that we think this is natural. Have a great day, you turkeys! JW

1 comment:

David U said...

Great post, brother! Maybe you can re-post it around Thanksgiving!

In the world, but not of it.....that is the challenge isn't it?

God bless,
DU