Saturday, October 15, 2005

Glasses Make You Happy

I saw a commercial today for an optical place. If I told you the name , you would recognize it. Many of my years have been spent in a marketing field (admissions), but I have to say marketing is one of those things that really bugs me. The word "marketing" has become synonymous with the word "spin." i.e. Make people think of something else, make your product look better in spite of how bad it is, or basically you have a license to lie if part of what you say is true. Now I know that's an extremely cynical view of marketing, and I'm sure there are marketing majors and marketing people out there with wonderful scruples and ethics. I'm just telling you my view. And after all, isn't that what blogging is about?
All right, back to the commercial. Basically what it said is if you wear our glasses you will be happy. The commercial showed people dancing and jumping up and down and smiling, all while wearing glasses. Now I've got to tell you, coming from a person who has worn glasses since I was in eighth grade, glasses are a pain. I wear contact lenses, but with my old age I am now having to wear reading glasses. And the last thing that happens when I put on glasses is to jump up and down smiling. "Yeaaaahhhhh, I have glasses on!" Now don't give me the lecture about "you should be glad you can see, there are people in China who are blind....."
Isn't this what Satan does? He's a phenomenal marketer. Do this and you'll be happy. Drink this and it will ease your pain. Sleep with her and you will enjoy life. On and on ad nauseum. And we buy it hook, line, and sinker. I know I do.
Paul lets us know in Philippians that joy does not come from outward events. It that were so, he would have been the most miserable person on earth. It doesn't come from things because things rust away. It comes from one source and one source only...Jesus. "Rejoice, and I'll say it again, rejoice," Paul says. The happiness talked about in the glasses commercials ends when somebody sits on them and breaks them. But Paul says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6, 7)
Instead of searching for happiness, perhaps we should be pursuing joy, peace, contentment. Those seem to last longer and aren't affected by things and events. Peace to all of you. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

Good points... but could I just pursue those things in Omaha??? No marketing needed.