Monday, October 31, 2005

Schools, Paul McCartney, and Halloween

Just a few random thoughts for today. If you're not from Omaha, let me give you a brief synopsis of what's going on in the public school districts. There are a number of independent school districts in the city and since Omaha has been growing at a phenomenal rate, the Omaha Public Schools decided that the law says, "one city, one school district," they should take over all school districts. There was no discussion, they just announced it one day. You can imagine what's been happening. The lawsuits have been filed and the words have been flying. Well, now it looks like a political campaign going on because there are yard signs, flyers, and bumper stickers everywhere. Our school district is allegedly safe because they wrote it into law back in the 50s. But others aren't so lucky. So our school district joined in the lawsuit with the others. So now these signs say, "Millard Schools Forever." "Westside Schools Forever." Now I find this interesting and I appreciate the passion of these people. But in my humble opinion they've gone a little too far. Please. Forever? The only thing that is forever is the unseen and not the seen. None of what we can see, what is tangible, i.e. touch, smell, hear, see, taste is permanent. No building, no program. Only the unseen. Isn't that what Paul said in II Corinthians 4? "Therefore, we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us a glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary and what is unseen is eternal." The school district isn't forever. God and His eternal glory is.

On a lighter note, I went to the Paul McCartney concert last night. I know, I know, preachers aren't supposed to go to things like that. I'm a child of the 60s (born in the 50s). I remember when I rushed home from church services on a Sunday night to hear the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show. I enjoyed the music.

My thoughts on Halloween. There are a number of those who refuse to do anything on this date because it's set up by Satan. (Do you give candy and flowers to your wife or girlfriend on Valentine's Day?) Anyway, here's my philosophy on Halloween. I'm not much into the ghosts and ghouls and skeletons and all that. But the whole purpose of Halloween in my opinion is to get as much candy as possible in a short amount of time. And if that means you have to dress like a princess or a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger to get it, more power to you. Especially if you share the chocolate stuff with me. Go get more candy! Let me know and I'll give you an address to send the leftovers to me! Have a great day. JW

3 comments:

Karen said...

Leftovers?? What's that?

Glad you enjoyed the concert. Too bad we weren't there... you never know where we would have got to sit!!

Shane Coffman said...

Yeah, I'm not much of a kid person the other 364 days a year, but I love handing out candy to the little ones on Halloween...

freethoughtguy said...

Halloween isn't just for kids anymore. Didn't you dress up and go to any parties?