Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Tabloid Christianity?

My son had to get one of those tabloid magazines for a mass communications class he has at school. I sat down and started reading some of the stories. By the way, this magazine makes the claim that it is the only reliable magazine around. Here is a sampling of the some of the stories. "Congress Repeals the Law of Gravity." "Aliens with Three Eyes Occupying the Earth" (This headline was accompanied by a picture from the back of someone's head, holding some hair apart to reveal an extra eye in the back of the head) "Husband and Wife Switch Bodies" (This one had the woman's head on the man's muscular body and the man's head on his wife's lingerie clad body, both with surprised expressions on their faces. 'We just got up one morning and it felt funny.')
I was laughing so much I was making my wife angry because she was trying to concentrate on something. How ridiculous these stories are.
But I started to think about what I believe and how it must seem to others. I believe that a man pushing 100 and his wife of 90 had a child. I believe that a donkey talked to his master. I believe that the Israelite nation walked across dry ground when the Red Sea split in two. I believe a man named Jesus was crucified and then raised from the dead.
Now, I want to be careful because I think I have more of a leg to stand on than do the tabloids. But we do have to admit, what we believe may sound pretty bizarre to those who have no faith, no reason to believe. I think the difference is the leg work behind the stories. Both do, however, take faith to believe. Our lives are one big faith walk. Let's admit that. Our faith is based on the most reasonable explanation we can come to. But it is faith. Let's not forget that. Paul said, "I know whom I have believe and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day." (II Timothy 1:12) The Hebrew writer said "without faith it is impossible to please God." (Hebrews 11:6) So have some faith today. Smile and have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Donna G said...

I don't know if I would throw us in the mix with the tabloids, but I posted something recently talking about how strange and bizarre our worship service would be to someone who had never been to church at all. We forget to take the time to gently lead people into what we are doing. When we fail to do so people's eyes will glaze over like mine do when I see the tabloids.