Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Fatigue

As I have previously said in this blog, we have had Jerry and Lynn Jones here at our congregation this week doing their Marriage Matters Seminar. It's been 13 intense lessons (well it will be 13 after tonight) on all kinds of marriage issues. It has been good and I have been able to spend some time with Jerry. Many of you know that he was one of my professors when I was a young student at Harding. He is a mentor and he took the role of my father yesterday as we visited for a while. It was good.
One of my co-workers made a comment yesterday that it felt as if we lived at the church building. My wife and I were talking this morning about how tired we were. Don't get me wrong. We're not complaining. In fact, Martha and I were asking how we used to do gospel meetings all the time. She remembers one week meetings. I remember two week ones. And you were expected to be there every night. What's the deal?
Well, for one, it's a different time. Our schedules have gotten busier. Life has become faster and more complicated in many ways. I know that Solomon has said there is nothing new under the sun. But part of our fatigue is just being too busy. Perhaps that is why God gave us the admonition to "be still and know that I am God."
Another reason why we're tired is because Jerry and Lynn are right. We have seen the destruction Satan brings to good people who are trying to have good marriages. Unfortunately, it's seminars such as this that really brings that to light. I rembember in the movie Field of Dreams when Ray sees his "young" father for the first time. He remarks to his wife the wonderful physical condition he's in. He says that he only remembers seeing him when (and I'm paraphrasing now) when he was worn down by life.
That's why we fix our eyes on Jesus. That's why we fix our eyes not on what is seen but what is unseen. That's why we look at Jesus and not the waves. But the weekend is virtually free (at least for me) and I'll rest up. Then we're together for the Lord's Day! I can't wait. Have a great day. . .and get some rest. JW

No comments: