Monday, October 03, 2005

Two Words/Two Letters/Two Meanings

They both have 12 letters. They have the same letters with the exception of one. One word has an extra "m" and the other an extra "n." Yet they have eleven common letters. The words sound alike, begin with the same letter and end in the same way. Yet their meanings are totally opposite. The reason I noticed is that someone tried to say the one word and accidentally said the other. The rest, as they say, is history. At that point my mind started racing and hence this blog.
If you want to compliment someone for a job well done or you want to encourage someone or if someone gets an honor, it's called a "commendation." On the other hand, if the intent is to blast away and to complain and to criticize, it's a "condemnation."
I thought how ironic that is for two words to be so close in pronunciation and letters, yet be so opposite. Is it an accident that the two words are so close to the edge? I like commendations. They make me feel good, they urge me on to better things and I can go for months on one commendation. On the other hand, five seconds of condemnation brings me down for a long, long time.
So what kind of person are you? Are you one who commends or one who condemns. I see Jesus or I see Pharisees. I see positive and I see negative. And it doesn't really take much to see the difference and it doesn't take much to make a difference. Either way. What are you? Have a great day! JW

No comments: