Thursday, April 19, 2007

Charles Edward White

Since I won't blog tomorrow, I want to blog on something I have talked about really every year about this time since I began this record. On April 20, 1920, Charles Edward White was born to Clyde Emerson and Mary Lucille Stout White. He was the eldest of seven kids. Even before my grandparents died, he was the patriarch of the family. Everyone looked to him for advice about everything, especially church things. He was the only one who had gotten more than a high school education. Although he wasn't the wealthiest of the bunch, he was considered the wisest.
He came by his spiritual fervor naturally. His father was a deacon at the Bearwallow Church of Christ. His grandfather, John Edward White, was also a faithful member of the same church. And his great-grandfather, James Hiram White, belonged to the long gone, "Old Bedford Church," all there in Meigs County, Ohio.
I didn't always agree with Dad, but I respected him too much to fight with him. He passionately defended the church. He loved my mother. He read his Bible faithfully. He served His God. He loved Jesus. He loved his sons. Although he wasn't perfect, he was a great example to me. I celebrate his life and know that he is waiting, along with Mom, to welcome me home.
What a wonderful legacy I have. Why was I born to such a family? I don't know. I have been blessed with a lot and I know God expects a lot of me, too. So it is with that thought, I wish Dad happy birthday. He would have been 87 years old tomorrow had he lived. But he lives forever in the place he taught me about. I'll see you soon, Dad. Have a great day. JW

No comments: