Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Consequences

Sometimes we bemoan the fact that bad things are happening to us. Some of that is brought on by the fact that we live in a fallen world. And, in reality, bad things do sometimes happen to good people. Sometimes, bad things happen as a result of choices. They are called consequences.
I was watching Bruce Almighty the other night starring Jim Carrey. I know, some of you don't like him and there are some coarse elements in this movie. But overall, there are some good points made, too. At one point, Bruce finally comes to the end of his rope. While walking in the pouring rain, he gets on his knees and looks up to the heavens. He shouts, "You win, I yield myself to your will." At that point a light shines on him, he looks up, and it's a semi coming right at him. The next scene, he's in heaven wearing white. He's walking among the clouds and he's talking to God. "Why me? Why did I die." God says something like this to him, "You can't kneel down in the middle of the high way and not expect to get run over, ya dummy."
I imagine there's a lot of time when the Lord would love to say, "Ya dummy. Why aren't you listening?" I know why He doesn't. It's the same reason we don't call our own children by such names.
As hard as it is to accept, there are always consequences for the choices we make. It's a tough concept, but one we need to realize. How does one make good choices? Ask God for wisdom. James 1 says He'll give to all liberally, without finding fault. Two, seek first His kingdom. Jesus said if we'll do that God will take care of all of our needs. And, three, we need to be content with what we have. Godliness, Paul said, with contentment is great gain.
I hope your day is a good one filled with good choices and full of God's contentment. Have a good one. JW

1 comment:

David U said...

Great post, brother.........and the previous one about your dad also. Hey, give me a call when you get a chance.

DU