Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Selective Grace

This is one of those posts I want you to consider deeply. It's been on my heart and mind for a long time. Please don't write me off if you don't agree with what I say. Instead, let's talk.
If you've been a consistent reader of my blog, you'll know that I have mentioned quite a bit about grace. You've read that I have said we need to be more about grace and less about law. Most will give me a hearty "Amen!" But there are still who don't buy it. But consider this.
Say when I die, I get to heaven and God says to me, "Jim, you know you were wrong about....(Pick any C of C issue, women's role, instrumental music, etc.). Would I depend on God's grace? Absolutely! I depend on it in every aspect of my life. I can't take one step without it. All right, if someone from another religious heritage does the same and God says, "You know you were wrong about...." (Once again, pick any issue where we disagree.) Why wouldn't God's grace be effective in the same situation? Why is it that only "our" people receive God's grace? How arrogant is that and how arrogant are we?
It's time we allow God to add to the number of His church and to quit being in the legalistic selection business. I hear the collective gasp of some of you. "Then what do you preach?" The same things I have always been preaching. But I allow God to be God and I will continue to rely on His grace mightily.
There, I said it. No grace makes us legalistic. All grace gives us what Bonhoeffer calls "cheap grace." But true grace changes us. It makes us serve out of gratitude and praise rather than a sense of "have to." I prefer serving out of gratitude. It makes our lives more joyous and full of purpose.
There. I said it. Agree or disagree. Just be kind. I hope your day is filled with joy...and grace. JW

4 comments:

Karen said...

Definitely agree (but you knew that already). Let's just all get down to the business of being Jesus to each other and everyone we meet and forget about majoring in minors and focusing on differences.

One Observationist said...

In some respects I'm shocked to read your post today because of all the things I could say about Southwest legalistic is not one of them. If you want to see legalism at its finest I can point you to a congregation across town.

Perhaps I do not see the legalism you talk about because I do not know the leaders of Southwest well enough to know their stance on every single issue. And it could also be that I came from such a legalistic background that anything other than that is "liberal" and non-legalistic (if that’s a word). I do not use that term in a negative way. I mean to say that liberal is a Christ-like philosophy on life. You can't have that with legalism.

At Southwest I look at people like Chris Pierson and I see relatively zero legalism in his teaching approach with people. There are many others at the congregation that I could say the same thing about.

Now if we are talking doctrines then I would say maybe. For the most part Southwest is fairly conservative in their formal worship services. But I do not see this as a negative. I also have no problem with churches that use instrumental music it just isn’t for me. Meaning I do not prefer to worship God in that way, but my preferences do not mean that it is wrong for groups like that to use instruments.

If your point is regarding opening our arms to other Christian denominations then I agree that in times past the C of C has been extremely closed minded. But still, I haven’t seen that at Southwest.

Personally, I have a couple of Catholic friends and I honestly believe they are going to make it to heaven. They are Christ followers and they love our Lord as much as any of the best at the C of C. I also have friends from other denominations that are also in this category.

If I understand your point then I agree with you Jim. As a group we need to open our arms to other denominations and view them as brothers and sisters rather than the enemy. If I did not hold this view then I would be missing out on so many connections with Christians that believe a little bit differently than I. I would be missing out on their perspectives about God and His plan. I would be missing out on their advice and their prayers. A lot of good and faithful Christians are walking around in this world and they do not belong to the C of C.

Great post. I think your openness on issues like this is refreshing. Thanks.
Jeremy Divis

Shane Coffman said...

Preach on, brother!

One of our flaws has been that we were willing to allow for grace to cover moral error, but not doctrinal error.

The fact is we all need grace for both. No one has it all right.

I trust that in the end, the God of all the earth will make a righteous judgement regarding the extent of grace.

So, I'm free from having to legislate it here. Whew! I'm afraid I'd mess up and need more grace for that!

Theresa Michelle said...

Well said, brother Jim! I think it's sad we have to be so apologetic when talking about God's grace as applying to other Christians. One thing that really stuck with my husband was something Curt Sparks used to say - "Ask is it a salvation issue?" We really need to do that about everything and not just take our personal comfort level and call it gospel.

Jeremy, I totally agree with you about Pierson and many others at our church. However, I wish I could say Jim didn't have reason to bring up the "legalism" issue. I love this church, and it's my family, but there can be some ugliness lurking when you least expect it, pretty much any time change is being considered.

I am, however, optimistic that the truth will prevail and that Jesus will use us to further His kingdom, changing what needs changing and preserving what does not.

I hope I have not offended any of my brothers and sisters in the body. Anyone who knows me knows I don't mince words, saying exactly what's on my mind, but never intending any harm.