Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Meditation

Bring up the word "Meditation" and it conjures up images of sitting in a lotus position mumbling some mantra that makes no sense. At least, that's what I thought of. Yet, the Bible tells us to meditate. I think I've got it.

I'm not good at it, but I think I have a better understanding. On my morning walks (and by the way, I highly recommend this) I have kept my iPod in my ears listening to Christian music. I would begin with prayer and then switch to the music. It's been a great experience. But lately, I have prayed and then allowed God's word to dwell in my mind. All of a sudden, my thoughts are clear, I have new points for sermons, I think of things I should.

Now that's meditation. I like it. I'm not good at it yet. But I think I have a better understanding of it. And I hope you do, too. Have a great day! JW

An old song we used to sing:
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart,
Be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Amen.

1 comment:

Theresa Michelle said...

Meditation, quiet time, whatever you label it, "Be still and know..." (Psalm 46) has been brought to my attention in so many different ways - bible class in Omaha, study, songs in church, bible class in Overland Park... God doesn't mess around getting my attention!

Hey - quick question. Do you know the song "More Precious Than Gold" by Acappella? The lyrics sound very similar to the song you quote:

"May the words of my mouth
And the meditation of my heart
Be pleasing in your sight
O Lord my rock
My rock and my redeemer
O Lord, my rock and my redeemer..."

It's such an oft quoted verse, though, so I'm sure there are many songs that share some variant of those words. What a beautiful expression of the heart - thanks for sharing!