Saturday, April 07, 2007

Two Deaths

I don't usually blog on Saturday morning, but I'm in my office. In a few minutes I'll be attending the second funeral for our congregation this week. The first was an 82 year old woman whose life was good. She lived a long, fruitful life in service in the Kingdom. In a few minutes, a fairly young man in his 40s who learned about Jesus later in his life.
Both of these situations have caused me to realize once again how really short life is. I'm only 30 years from the lady who died earlier in the week. She had Alzheimer's. I've been married for 30 years and I can't believe how quickly it's gone by. Today's funeral is a man younger than I am. I first met him a couple of years ago when he and his wife moved here. Soon after I met him, he was diagnosed with lymphoma. After a bone marrow transplant, chemotherapy, other treatments, a visit to another doctor in a western state, being sent home to die, he passed this life quickly. James says our life is but a vapor. The Old Testament writers say basically the same. Why is it that it takes something like this to get us to really believe it?
"Teach us to number our days aright." Live them all to the fullest. Love your family. Hug those you love. Spread grace to everyone. Smile. Enjoy the journey. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Theresa Michelle said...

Amen, Jim. But what a time to remember the victory we have over death through Christ Jesus.