Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Life and Death

I was talking to the mother of a marine the other day and she told me something interesting. She said they teach their soldiers to prepare to die in Iraq. That way, if and when they come back, it's a blessing. Isn't that the same way Jesus told us to live? Paul said, "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain." Jesus said if you find your life, you will lose it. If you lose your life, you will find it. Paul said to the Romans, "If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord."
Even Jesus knew this. Philippians says that He became obedient to death, even death on a cross. Seems to me we work at teaching people to live. Maybe we ought to teach people how to die. And when that happens, life follows. I hope you have a full life today. JW

P.S. My deepest condolences to those victims of the Virginia Tech massacre. I heard a reporter ask, "How do you make sense of this?" Dumb question. It doesn't make sense in any way. But there are a lot of things in this life that don't make sense.

No comments: